Finding the right DUI attorney can be a difficult task, but here are a few tips to guide you in the process:
- Ask other attorneys for recommendations- Typically, you can ask another attorney for recommendations for a DUI attorney. Because they work with and around many attorneys daily, they are usually privy to information such as which attorneys do outstanding work and which attorneys you should shy away from. Often, attorneys create a reputation for themselves at the courthouse, be it good or bad.
- Look at their website – Often, attorney websites will provide you with lots of useful information such as the type of law they specialize in and maybe even some accolades for their service in a field. This information not only alludes to their reputation and connections in that field, but it also assures you that you are considering someone who has some experience. If you check a website where the attorney specializes in business formation, but also does DUI cases on the side, they may not be the right attorney for your situation.
- Check their resume – Experience is key. When defending a serious charge like a DUI, you want to be represented by the best. With the experience comes the ability to negotiate you the best deal in the situation.
- Check their reputation – You want an attorney who is familiar with the judge who may preside over your case or has history with the prosecuting attorneys. However, you don’t want an attorney representing you who has built a bad rapport with those same judges and prosecutors. Your side wants to present itself in the best light possible, and that includes the attorney representing you.
- Read Reviews – Many attorneys are listed on websites such as Avvo and LegalAdvice.com. You can quickly scan through sites like these to see the comments left by previous clients. However, you want to be mindful that some people may leave negative comments based on not getting the results they desired but received results sufficient for their situation. Take the reviews for just that, someone else’s opinions of the services they received.
- Check the cost of representation – You can find excellent representation for a reasonable price. A high price does not necessarily mean you are paying for more experience or expertise. A low price could signal problems, such as incompetence or inexperience.
- Go in for a consultation – Having an in-person meeting with an attorney can help to determine if the attorney is right for you. Often, we can get a sense of security (or alarm) by a person’s mannerisms as well as their conversation. An attorney should make you feel that they have your best interest in mind and will provide you with the best representation. If the feeling is off, you may want to continue your search.
- Do your research – State law websites allow you to see if an attorney is authorized to practice law, if any disciplinary action has been taken against them or if they are currently in good standing.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – Asking about an attorney’s case load is important in that it can indicate how much time will be allocated to your case and providing responses to your questions.
- Know what works for you – Location of office. Size of staff. Fee structure. Attorneys actual involvement in the office. You know better than anyone else what your needs are. Make sure the attorney you select works for you.
Find a Maryland DUI Lawyer Now!
Look no further! Call the Law Offices of Randolph Rice, who has been defending Maryland DUI clients since 2009. With many years of litigation experience, Attorney Randolph Rice isn’t afraid to take your case to trial and win. With a skilled DUI lawyer, you increase your chances of a better outcome. Keep your privilege to drive and avoid jail time with a DUI lawyer by your side in court.