Ocean City Criminal Lawyer

Have you been charged with a crime or DUI in Ocean City, Maryland?  Contact the Ocean City criminal lawyer Randolph Rice at (410) 288-2900 or email the office for immediate legal help.

Ocean City Criminal Lawyer

A vacation in Ocean City Maryland can be one of the most memorable life experiences.  However, if you have a run in with the law, a great vacation can turn into a nightmare.

A criminal conviction can haunt you for the rest of your life.  Most criminal charges are heard in the Ocean City District Court.  But if you are charged with a felony in Ocean City, then your case will ultimately be heard in the Circuit Court for Worcester County.  If you are charged with a felony, then your case may be scheduled for a preliminary hearing in the District Court before being forwarded to the Circuit Court.

Fail to Appear in District Court

A lot of our clients will fail to appear for a trial date in the District Court and the Court will issue a bench warrant for their arrest.  If you have failed to appear for a Court appearance in the District or Circuit Court and you have an active warrant.  Call our office and we can file a motion with the Court to have the warrant lifted or recalled and reset as a summons to appear in Court.

What happens when I go to Court in Ocean City?

Before you appear in the Ocean City Md courthouse, you want to hire an Ocean City criminal lawyer to represent you before the Judge.  Your criminal lawyer will contact the State’s Attorney’s office and determine how the State plans to proceed in your case.  You attorney will also meet with the State’s Attorney on the date of trial to discuss your case and try to resolve the matter.  There are occasions when an Ocean City criminal lawyer can resolve your case before the trial date.  They may be able to work out an agreement that will not require your presence on the trial date.  This is of particular benefit if you life out of State and it would be difficult to travel to Ocean City.

If your case does proceed at trial, then there are a couple of ways the case can be resolved:

  1. The State takes a preliminary action and your case is dismissed or marked Stet;
  2. The State will offer a plea and your lawyer will argue before the Judge the dispostion in your case;
  3. You can elect to have a bench also known as a Judge trial on the date you appear in Court; or
  4. You can elect a jury trial and your case will be transferred to the Circuit Court for a jury trial.  You are only entitled to a jury trial if one of your charges carries a maximum penalty of more than 90 days.

If you have been charged with a crime or traffic offense, contact an Ocean City criminal lawyer at (410) 288-2900 and speak with attorney Randolph Rice.

[uxi_video type=’youtube’ ratio=’16by9′ size=’500′ center=’true’ id=’RHVIspD-QJY’]


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *