After An Accident; What’s Next

Here at the Randolph Rice Injury Attorneys, we’ve put together a list of common questions and answers our clients ask after an accident. In addition, we’ve listed some things you should do to make your claim and the process more efficient and effective.

  • Pictures – If you haven’t done so already, please email us photos from the accident. Including pictures of your vehicle and all other vehicles involved. If you took pictures of the scene, please send those as well. If you have any physical injuries, i.e. bruising, scars, etc., please send those pictures.
  • Contact your insurance company – If you have not done so already, contact your insurance company to report the claim. Your insurance company may also assist in obtaining a rental car for you. Use your insurance company if the other insurance company is not working fast enough on your property damage claim.
  • Contact a doctor – If you are feeling any pain, contact a doctor as soon as possible. If you have a primary care physician (“PCP”), contact your PCP. If you’re experiencing continued pain, ask your PCP for a referral to a physical therapist. If you don’t have a PCP, ask us and we can provide a list of reputable physicians and physical therapists. Follow the prescribed treatment and complete treatment as instructed by your doctor.
  • Don’t talk to the other insurance company – There is an exception to this rule, you can talk to the other insurance company about damage to your vehicle and obtaining a car rental. You don’t want to discuss any personal injury details with them. You also don’t want to discuss any facts about the accident, they record these conversations and may try to twist your words and claim the accident was your fault.
    PIP form
    PIP form for Geico insurance
  • PIP Paperwork – Complete the Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) paperwork from your insurance company. If you had PIP insurance, we will file the claim for you if you haven’t already done so. If your insurance company sends you the paperwork (PIP Application, Lost Wages, Treating Physician form) you can complete and return to your insurer. We can help you complete the paperwork, contact the office 410.844.5333 and we will schedule a time to meet and complete the paperwork with you.
  • Keep a journal – Most accident claims are not resolved for months, sometimes years. A lot can happen after the accident and if you don’t write it down, you may forget.  Make sure you keep all claim numbers, phone numbers, doctors visited and after-care you receive.  In addition, record all appointments and note how this accident has adversely affected you throughout the recovery.
  • Record your lost time from work – If you miss time from work, record the dates and times you missed in your journal or on a separate piece of paper.

If you follow these steps after an accident, the process with go smoother and your claim will be resolved faster and with better results. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, you need the best Maryland personal injury attorney on your side. The Randolph Rice Injury Attorneys fight for the compensation their client’s deserve after an accident. Don’t let someone else’s negligence ruin your life. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *