If you or one of your family members was injured in a JUMP scooter accident or other type of electric scooter accident in Baltimore, you should ask an experienced personal injury lawyer about what steps you should take next. Depending on how your JUMP scooter injury happened, Uber, negligent drivers, or other parties may be at fault for your accident – and the resulting medical bills. You may also be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering, lost income, property damage, and other losses that you have suffered due to a scooter accident.
To set up a free legal consultation and find out whether you could have a claim, call Baltimore JUMP scooter injury lawyer Randolph Rice at (410) 694-7291, or contact the Law Offices of Randolph Rice online. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to assist with your legal matter.
What Are JUMP Scooters (Uber Scooters)?
Most people are already familiar with Uber, the popular ridesharing app that lets passengers book low-cost rides with nearby Uber drivers. What fewer people are aware of is that Uber also offers electric scooters, a service known as “JUMP.”
Uber scooters, or JUMP scooters, have already arrived in numerous cities throughout the U.S., including Baltimore, with more planned to come in the future. Considering recent trends, JUMP scooters seem likely to become more common as the service’s popularity increases.
JUMP Scooter Accident Liability: Who is at Fault?
Unfortunately, with more people riding JUMP scooters, there is also a major drawback: the heightened risk of serious accidents. There are numerous ways that JUMP scooter accidents can occur, such as the following examples:
- Car Accidents – JUMP scooter riders are protected by nothing more than a helmet and some light padding. Many riders wear neither, meaning they are completely unprotected. This translates to devastating injuries when a scooter rider is hit by a car, motorcycle, or other vehicle. Collisions with scooters can happen for countless reasons, such as distracted driving, intoxicated driving, speeding, running red lights, failing to stop at stop signs, or failing to signal when turning. If the driver was being negligent, he or she may be liable for the injury victim’s expenses.
- Product Defects – Like any vehicle, JUMP scooters can become extremely dangerous if they are compromised by hidden defects, such as problems with the wheels or baseboard. These types of defects can result from failures to store, handle, ship, design, test, or inspect scooter parts properly, causing cracks or weak points in the finished product. If a scooter breaks suddenly while in use, the rider has virtually no time to react and is likely to sustain injuries – particularly if the accident occurs while the scooter is being ridden at high speeds.
- Road Debris – JUMP scooters are small and lightweight by design, because they are meant to be picked up and dropped off virtually anywhere. Unfortunately, this means scooters can wind up abandoned in the middle of a street or walkway, where they present a hazard to others. Vehicles can get into serious accidents if forced to swerve around abandoned JUMP scooters. Accidents can also happen if scooters become entangled with larger vehicles that are not able to avoid the debris.
JUMP Electric Scooter Injury Claims Randolph Rice Handles
The only physical protections that scooter riders have are helmets and, in some cases, additional knee or elbow padding. Most riders do not have any accident gear at all, meaning that accidents tend to produce serious injuries. Riders are almost always thrown clear of the scooter, which may put them into the path of oncoming traffic, creating a risk of additional injuries after the initial accident.
Common injuries like broken bones can cost thousands of dollars to repair and take weeks or months to heal. Catastrophic injuries, such as spinal cord or brain injuries, can cause a lifetime of damage and impairment. Whether your injury is treatable, like a broken wrist, or permanent, like spinal cord damage, Randolph Rice will fight tooth and nail to recover compensation for your medical costs, including the costs of anticipated future care. Types of injury claims our office handles include:
- Back and spinal injury claims
- Bone fracture claims
- Claims for cuts and bruises
- Claims for loss of a finger or toe
- Claims for permanent disability
- Head and brain injury claims
- Soft tissue injury claims
- Road rash injury claims
Baltimore JUMP Scooter Accident Lawsuit Attorney
When you rent a JUMP scooter, you are entitled to a reasonably safe ride. Unfortunately, even if you take all the necessary precautions, careless drivers around you can still expose you to danger. So can physical faults in the scooter, which likely resulted from a design or manufacturing defect.
If you were injured in a JUMP scooter accident in Baltimore, make sure you review the situation carefully with an experienced attorney to determine what steps to take next. To set up a free legal consultation with a JUMP injury lawyer in Baltimore, contact the Law Offices of Randolph Rice online, or call today at (410) 694-7291.