Drivers are expected to pay careful attention to the surrounding obstacles as well as to do their best to avoid any situations that might result in an accident.
Each year, however, a large number of motor vehicle accidents are caused by drivers who speed while driving. To stay safe while driving, however, there are some important pieces of advice that drivers can follow.
One of the best ways to avoid an accident is to learn the three types of distracted driving, which can help drivers make sure that they do not engage in any of these behaviors.
It is also helpful for drivers to understand some of the other safety precautions that can be followed to avoid getting involved in a distracted driving accident.
# 1 – Visual Distractions
One of the most common distractions on the road, visual distractions include things that take a driver’s attention as well as eyes off the road even for just a few seconds.
Some of the most common types of visual distractions include adjusting devices inside of the vehicle, looking at the screen of a phone, or looking outside the vehicle in a different direction from where the obstacle is located.
# 2 – Manual Distractions
Manual distractions can exist or separate from visual distractions. This category occurs when a motor vehicle drivers take one or both of their hands off of the steering wheel.
Some of the reasons this occurs include texting someone and eating or drinking while driving. Statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveal that texting while driving is by far the most common type of manual distraction.
# 3 – Cognitive Distractions
Cognitive distractions involve a person’s mind experiencing difficulties while driving. If a driver’s attention shifts to something else on the road, very serious accidents can occur. Some of the most common types of cognitive distractions include emotional stress, talking to another person in the vehicle, or using a person’s phone.
Steps to Avoid Distracted Driving Accidents
There are some important pieces of advice that drivers can follow to avoid becoming involved in distracted driving accidents, which include the following:
- If you are driving or on the road, only use your cell phone for emergency purposes. If you do need to make a phone call while driving, pull over to the side of the road prior to making a call.
- Idle or social conversation on cell phones should not take place while a person is driving. This type of behavior is against the law in many jurisdictions and can result in a person facing fines.
- If you are tired, pull over to the side of the road as soon as it is safe to do so. Drowsiness greatly increases the chances that a person will become involved in an accident.
- Limit the number of passengers in your vehicle. Driving with friends or too many people in a vehicle can create a very dangerous situation because drivers often focus on their friends rather than the road.
- Never eat while driving. While eating while driving can seem like a time-saving measure, it can greatly increase a person’s chances of being involved in a very serious accident.
- Multi-task outside of your vehicle. Trying to do more than one thing while driving greatly increases the risk that you will end up in an accident.
Contact a Skilled Accident Attorney
It is important that motor vehicle drivers avoid distracted driving because this can lead to very serious accident. If you are involved in an accident, no matter the cause do not hesitate to speak with a seasoned car accident attorney at the Law Office of Randolph Rice.