Top Rated Maryland Attorneys

hero arrow

Ocean City, Maryland Criminal Attorney

Ocean City, Maryland, located in Worcester County, is known as being a popular vacation spot. Situated on the coast, it is easy to get involved in shenanigans and problems. People of all ages make poor decisions, but it does not have to follow you around forever. If you are facing charges, even if you are a minor, an experienced Ocean City criminal attorney can assist you.

Locations of Court Houses

Ocean City, Maryland is home to one of two District Courts in Worcester County. The District Court operates from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and has parking in front of the building. A second District Court, as well as the Circuit Court, is located in Snow Hill and operates under the same hours. The Circuit Court hears juvenile and family law matters as well as all jury trials. Snow Hill is about a 30-minute drive from Ocean City, so if you are dealing with any of the aforementioned matters that is where you will be appearing.

Common Offenses

Traffic Offenses

Criminal Lawyer in Ocean CityIf you have ever found yourself sitting on the side of the road pulled over by an officer, you know that it can be nerve-racking. There are many reasons why an officer may pull you over and there are many different citations you can receive. Whether you ran a stop sign, were speeding, or were found to be driving on a suspended license. Driving while suspended is a serious violation that can lead to jail time. Licenses can be suspended for a variety of reasons including too many points on your driving record, failure to take a breath or blood test after a DUI investigation and failure to pay a ticket. No matter the offense, you should consult with an attorney on what to do next.


If you have been pulled over after drinking, serious punishments could follow. If your blood alcohol content is about .08, which is the legal limit in Maryland, or if you refuse to take the blood or breath test you could lose your driver’s license. Officers may identify you as an impaired driver by observing the following: weaving between lanes, tailgating, drifting into other lanes and abrupt or illegal turns. If you have been pulled over because you were suspected of driving under the influence or while impaired, you need someone by your side. Call the Law Offices of Randolph Rice to assist in your defense today.

Disorderly Conduct

Disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace are two offenses that can be applied to the same criminal accusations. There are many scenarios that can lead to disorderly conduct charges, such as entering private property and disturbing the occupants of that property and excessive drunkenness in public. If you have been arrested for disorderly conduct you may face a misdemeanor charge with penalties up to $500 and 60 days in jail. If you have been charged with disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct, it is in your best interest to hire a defense attorney. An Ocean City criminal lawyer can help avoid the harsh sentencing that accompanies disorderly conduct.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a bond hearing?

A bond hearing is when a judge sets an amount of money that the person must put up in order to be released from jail pending trial. The bond hearing is an opportunity for a judge to determine if bond should be issued and whether any conditions should be attached. The judge will take into consideration your ties with the community, whether you are employed, what criminal history you have and how much of a flight risk you are.When at a bail hearing you are entitled to have an attorney present. Be sure to have an experienced Ocean City criminal lawyer by your side.

If I am a minor, can I still be charged as an adult?

Generally, minors are prosecuted in a juvenile court system. In Maryland, the age of majority is 18 years old. If you are prosecuted in juvenile court and found to be delinquent the court retains power over the minor to do what is best for him or her. However, it is possible for the court to charge minors as adults. Minors that are 16 years or older may end up in adult court for carjacking, kidnapping, second-degree murder, rape or assault, and manslaughter, except involuntary. There are serious consequences to ending up in adult court. When the defendant is so young, do not gamble with their future. Contact an Ocean City criminal lawyer.

Is there any way to clear my criminal record?

In certain cases, criminal records may be expunged. This means that information about a criminal offense is removed from court and law enforcement records. In order to go about this process, a formal request must be submitted to the court and a judge will determine if the petition will be granted. Only criminal charges can be expunged and there are further qualifications. Three years must have passed and you must have received a probation before judgment or stet, meaning the court indefinitely postponed your case. However, the record cannot be expunged if you have a subsequent conviction or are a defendant in another criminal case. Expunging your record could greatly increase your chances of landing a job. With such high stakes, it is important to have a defense attorney walking you through the process.

Assistance is Just a Call Away

Do not ruin your vacation or beach trip just because of a poor decision. Whether you received a traffic ticket or are facing serious criminal charges, you need a defense attorney. Contact a skilled Ocean City criminal lawyer today.