Maryland personal injury lawyer

Baltimore Lawyer for Injuries Caused by a Rental Landlord

When you rent an apartment, condo, or even a house, you become responsible for much of the area inside your unit.  However, the areas outside your unit, such as shared stairwells, hallways, parking lots, and yards are still likely under the control of the landlord, as are some utilities and facilities inside your apartment.

If you are injured at your own apartment or while visiting someone else’s rental, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit against the rental landlord.  Rice, Murtha & Psoras ’s Baltimore lawyers for injuries caused by a rental landlord may be able to take your injury case to court and fight to get you the compensation you need for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering from the accident.  Call our law offices to set up a free legal consultation on your case at (410) 694-7291.

Suing Someone Else’s Landlord for Injuries

If you are injured on someone else’s property, you are generally entitled to sue the property owner for damages if the injury was caused by the property owner’s negligence.  In this context, negligence usually means leaving some hidden or obstructed danger that should have been repaired or cleaned up.  Typically, you file this kind of “premises liability” lawsuit against the property owner, but in cases of rented apartments or other properties, you may file the case against the tenant instead.  However, injuries occurring in shared areas are likely the landlord’s fault.

The landlord, building superintendent, or the property management company responsible for the property is likely responsible for ensuring safety in shared areas.  Hallways, elevators, stairwells, parking lots, and other shared or communal areas are usually kept and maintained by the building owner’s staff.  These maintenance workers – or the landlord themselves – might be responsible for cleaning spills, de-icing, clearing snow, mopping wet surfaces, or other maintenance in these areas.

If they failed to properly keep up the area, and you were injured because of it, you may have a case against them instead of the friend or relative you were visiting at the apartment.  If you were injured in your friend or family member’s rental unit, you may need to sue them instead.  However, renters insurance and other insurance policies usually pay for damages regardless of whom you sue, you just need to have the property party listed as the defendant in the case.  If that means suing the landlord or the property management company, our attorneys can help.

Suing Your Landlord for Injuries in Your Building

If you were injured in your own building, the case should be filed against your landlord.  While you may be responsible for your own apartment unit or rental space, your landlord still takes responsibility for maintaining shared spaces and amenities, such as hallways and stairs, and even laundry rooms, on-site gyms, or community pool areas.

Injuries in or near the home are some of the most common injuries people suffer.  If your landlord was responsible for the area or utility that harmed you, you may be entitled to sue them.

Your lease agreement will typically dictate what areas are your responsibility and what areas are the landlord’s responsibility.  Spills or loose wiring in the hallway might be your landlord’s responsibility, but some dangers in your own apartment unit may be their fault as well.  For instance, your landlord is usually responsible for the wiring in the building and the water in your pipes.

If your building experiences a power surge or improper wiring leads to a fire, you could sue your landlord for the injuries you face.  Additionally, if there is a problem with the boiler or water heater and your sink puts out overly hot water that scalds or burns you, you may also have a case against your landlord.

Talk to an attorney about suing your landlord.  There may be rules in your lease requiring arbitration or limiting your right to sue.  Your attorney may need to help you follow those guidelines or fight against them to get your case filed properly and maximize your compensation.

Damages in a Premises Liability Case Against a Property Manager

When filing an injury case, you are entitled to claim compensation for any harms you suffered because of the accident.  Most of these damages are “economic” damages in that they pay you for the financial harm you suffered because of the accident.  You can, however, claim damages for pain and suffering and other intangible harms as well.

Damages for medical expenses are at the core of most injury cases.  These damages can reimburse you for any medical expenses you faced because of the injury, ensuring that your medical care is covered.

You may also face economic damages for lost wages if your injury keeps you from returning to work while you recover.  These damages can also be covered in full.

Damages for physical pain and mental or emotional suffering are harder to prove and explain, but they can also be claimed in court.  Your testimony and the testimony of those around you can help you explain these damages in court and claim just compensation for the harm you faced.

Call Our Baltimore Rental Property Injury Lawyers for a Free Legal Consultation

If you were injured on a rental property, call the Baltimore attorneys for injuries caused by rental landlords at Rice, Murtha & Psoras today.  Our injury lawyers represent injury victims and their families and work to get them the compensation they need to cover their damages after a serious injury.  For help with your case, call our lawyers today to schedule a free legal consultation and learn more about suing a rental landlord or property management company for injuries.  Our number is (410) 694-7291.