Baltimore Lawyer for Injury from a Prescription Error
Prescription errors have the potential to be very serious and can have devastating consequences for victims. Even if the error seems small, it can still have devastating consequences in a person’s life. To take control of your case, it is often a wise idea to speak with a a Baltimore prescription error lawyer who knows how to make sure that you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
Common Types of Prescription Errors
There are many different ways in which prescription errors can occur in Maryland’s hospitals and emergency rooms which include the following examples:
- Complications with recognized medical conditions. These errors occur if a physician is aware that you are allergic to a specific medication but still prescribes the medication for a patient.
- Drug interactions. Medications that a patient is currently taking can have serious complications with a new type of medication that they are prescribed. A medical professional, however, might forget to take this interaction into consideration when prescribing a medication.
- Pharmaceutical filing errors. These errors occur when a local pharmacy receives the appropriate prescription but fills a person’s bottle with a different and inappropriate medication.
- Prescribing drugs to a disqualified group. Medications are sometimes erroneously prescribed to a group of people who should not receive that drug. For example, a medical provider might prescribe medication to a diabetic while the medication is only intended for people who aren’t diabetic.
- Printing or dosage errors. This category includes cases where a pharmacy fills a prescription but prints the wrong dosage directions which results in a person taking too much or too little of the medication.
No matter how you harmed by a prescription error, it is important to speak with a Baltimore prescription error and medical malpractice lawyer.
Our legal counsel has the experience necessary to collect evidence to establish a prescription error occurred so that you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
The Reason Why Prescription Errors Occur
Preventable prescription errors can occur for a variety of reasons, but some of these reasons include the following examples:
- Drugs with similar-looking names can be prescribed due to hard to read prescriptions.
- Illegible handwritten prescriptions.
- Insufficient or missing information about other medications a patient takes.
- The lack of adequate drug documentation.
- Medication schedules that are too complex.
- Similar-sounding medication names when prescription details are communicated orally.
A Baltimore prescription error lawyer can help analyze the various details of your case and determine exactly why your prescription error occurred. Our legal counsel can also help you initiate and pursue a legal action against the responsible party.
Tips for Preventing Prescription Errors
There are some steps that a person can take to reduce the risk that they will be harmed by prescription errors which include the following steps:
- Contact a medical professional if you have any questions about what dosage or medication you are taking.
- Inform your family members or loved ones about what medications you take in case an emergency occurs and you are left unable to tell medical professionals about your medication allergies.
- Maintain an accurate and updated record of all prescriptions and other medications that are taken in the past in addition to what medications you are taking at the moment.
- Stay alert about the medications to which you are allergic.
Our Injury Attorneys Can Help if You Were Hurt from a Prescription Error
A Baltimore prescription error lawyer can make sure that you obtain the compensation that you deserve which can include any medical bills or lost wages from missed work.
A qualified and experienced attorney at the Rice, Murtha & Psoras knows how to best navigate the many obstacles that arise in your case. Contact our law office today for an initial free consultation.