Greenville, SC Car Accident Lawyer

Car crashes can leave victims with expenses from medical bills to car repairs.  At the same time, you might be left unable to work – whether temporarily or on a long-term/permanent basis.  This makes it harder to cover your expenses during this trying time, and you need compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance or from the driver directly.

Our injury lawyers help victims recover damages after a car accident so they can get back to their normal lives as much as possible.  When serious injuries change your life, cause disabilities, or lay you up while you recover, our lawyers also seek pain and suffering damages to help account for these additional harms.

Contact our car accident lawyers today for a free review of your potential case by calling Rice, Murtha & Psoras at (803) 219-4906.

How to Get Compensation Through a Car Insurance Claim in Greenville, SC

South Carolina uses “at-fault” rules instead of “no-fault” rules for car insurance.  That means that when you are injured in a crash, the driver who caused the crash is the one whose insurance pays for damages.  In a no-fault state, you would file with your own insurance and get coverage out of first-party benefits.  You might be able to add on some of these benefits through medpay or similar policies, but you can usually file your claim with the other driver’s insurance if they hit you.

What this means is that you might need to overcome their denials to get compensated at all.  If their driver refuses to admit fault and the insurance company denies your claim by saying that you actually caused the crash or that they cannot determine fault, then it is better to have our lawyers step in.  Our car accident lawyers can negotiate on your behalf and work toward a settlement that might be able to pay you everything.

However, the other problem with insurance is that it might not cover enough.  Because of this, your own insurance might have medpay policies, but it also might have something called underinsured motorist coverage.  This is not required in South Carolina, but your insurance company is supposed to notify you about your option to sign up for this kind of policy.  If you have it, it can help cover your needs above and beyond what the other driver’s insurance covers.

Keep in mind that state minimums for coverage in South Carolina are $25,000 per person ($50,000 per accident) for injury and $25,000 per accident for property damage.  This often means your vehicle damage will get covered, but it might be too low to cover your injuries in full depending on how serious your injuries are.

How to Get Compensation Through a Car Accident Lawsuit in Greenville, SC

Help from a lawyer is often most effective when your case goes to court.  Our lawyers can help you file a claim for your car accident in a court of law, bypassing any insurance processes or claims denials and instead demanding the money directly from the driver who hit you.

In a lawsuit, the insurance company that represents the at-fault driver will usually be contractually obligated to pay their damages in the event your get a judgement against them, and they will likely be the ones paying for the defendant’s lawyer as well.  However, when the case is in court instead of in an insurance claim, there are rules and procedures the insurance company needs to follow to challenge your claim, and it is not up to them anymore whether they pay you or not.

However, it is still up to the court.  For you to win your car accident lawsuit, we must present sufficient evidence to prove to the jury that your accident was the other driver’s fault.  The standard we need to meet in a civil injury case is a “preponderance of the evidence” standard, which equates to around 51% proof; you need the jury to ever so slightly agree with your claim over the defendant’s.

We also need to provide evidence of what the defendant driver did wrong to cause the crash.  In some cases, this is an unreasonable mistake, such as a sudden “brake check” to try to get you to hit them or taking their hands off the wheel or their eyes off the road.  Other times, a traffic violation is on point, such as running a red light, driving under the influence, or texting while driving.  Your testimony, photos of the vehicle damage, any footage of the accident obtained from security cams or dash cams, and other evidence can all be used to prove your case.

Damages for Injured Drivers and Passengers in Greenville Car Accidents

If you were hurt in a crash, your damages typically fall into these four categories.  However, there are other areas of “economic” damages stemming from other bills and expenses that you might be able to claim as well.

Property Damage

Our lawyers can help you recover compensation for the damage to your car or other property in the crash.  For example, if your phone was crushed along with the front end of your car, we can seek compensation for all of the repairs or replacements needed.

Medical Expenses

Medical bills, hospital bills, therapy bills, and other expenses related to your treatment can be claimed and reimbursed at their full value.

Lost Wages

If you cannot work or you miss any time at your job because of your injuries, you should be able to claim replacement wages from the driver who hurt you.  These damages can often reach into the future, causing long-term losses for you and your family.

Pain and Suffering

These damages are not based on any fees or expenses, but rather on the toll the injury takes on your mind and body.  Our lawyers can help you calculate damages for physical pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, permanent scarring, and more.

Call Our Car Accident Attorneys in Greenville, SC Today

If you were hurt in a car crash, call the car accident lawyers at Rice, Murtha & Psoras at (803) 219-4906.