Parkville, MD Wrongful Death Lawyer

While losing someone close to you is rarely easy, it can be infinitely more difficult under wrongful circumstances. In such an instance, you should call a lawyer to help you file a lawsuit for wrongful death and get justice.

A claim for wrongful death might arise when a family member passes away due to someone else’s negligent or otherwise wrongful actions. Common examples include accidents like auto collisions, negligence like medical malpractice, or even intentional violence. Although you can decide how to handle your case, you should hire a lawyer to help you. Lawsuits are known for being complicated, and they can be even more complex when death is involved. Damages in your case might include monetary costs related to your family member’s passing on top of significant emotional distress. It should be noted that you might not be able to file your claim yourself. Certain eligible family members must file the case. You and other family members may be named as beneficiaries.

Schedule a case review for no charge by calling (410) 694-7291 and speaking to our wrongful death attorneys at Rice, Murtha & Psoras.

What is a Wrongful Death Claim in Parkville, MD?

According to Md. Code Cts. and Jud. Proc. § 3-902, a death that is wrongful is caused by a person’s wrongful acts, negligence, or default. Wrongful deaths are not necessarily intentional, and defendants are not always charged with crimes. In many cases, wrongful deaths are accidental, but the person who caused the accident may still be sued and held liable.

A variety of circumstances might involve a wrongful death action. A car accident is a great example of how someone might unintentionally cause the death of another. Simply by speeding and ignoring a stop sign, someone might cause a wrongful death. Medical malpractice involves doctors’ negligence and treatment that falls below standards of care. Intentional acts of harm can be especially shocking, and the defendant is likely to face criminal charges in addition to civil liability.

You should think about filing a claim for wrongful death for several important reasons. First, you and your family deserve justice. Suing the person responsible for your loved one’s death can help your family find the vindication and closure they need to move on. Second, your family might have significant damages in the wake of the loss. An attorney can help you fight for the fair compensation you and your family need.

Do I Need a Lawyer for a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Parkville, MD?

Technically, you do not have to hire a lawyer to represent you in many civil lawsuits. While some plaintiffs are tempted to avoid legal fees by handling their cases alone, this is not recommended. Lawsuits are infamously complicated, and even seasoned attorneys get overwhelmed at times.

Hiring an attorney should be your first step in your fight for just compensation. Dealing with a lawsuit is bad enough on its own. Dealing with a lawsuit while your family is grieving the loss of one of their own might be almost impossible. An attorney with the right skills and experience can work on your case while your family takes time to mourn.

Our wrongful death lawyers can help you move your case forward faster than you could by yourself. The procedures involved in simply filing the case can be complicated. One false move and you risk having your case thrown out, and you might end up starting over from the beginning. A lawyer can help you file your case and navigate the necessary procedures to get your family compensation as soon as possible.

Possible Damages in Parkville, MD Cased for Wrongful Death

Under Md. Code Cts. and Jud. Proc. § 3-904(d), your damages can include pecuniary costs and psychological or emotional distress or anguish. Pecuniary costs are the monetary expenses associated with wrongful death. For example, burial and funeral expenses are commonly claimed in wrongful death lawsuits. Additionally, you might claim the loss of financial support from your deceased family member.

If your loved one incurred any expenses after they were injured but before they passed away, these expenses can also be claimed. For example, if your loved one was injured in a car accident and received medical treatment but later passed away, you can claim their medical bills as part of your damages.

While emotional or psychological damages are often summed up as “pain and suffering,” there is far more to it than that. You can claim the loss of companionship, society, and consortium if you lost a spouse. Children can claim losses of parental guidance and affection. The loss of things that family members normally provide each other, like advice, comfort, and protection, should be factored into your damages.

People Involved in Wrongful Death Claims in Parkville, MD

There are a few hurdles to jump before your wrongful death lawsuit can be filed in court. One of these hurdles is finding the right people to start the case. Under Md. Code Cts. and Jud. Proc. § 3-904(a), only certain family members may file the case.

Generally, the deceased individual’s spouses, children, and parents are given first priority. If any of these parties exist, they must be the ones to file the lawsuit. If the deceased person was unmarried, had no children, and was predeceased by their parents, any other family member related by marriage or blood may file the case. Unfortunately, close friends typically cannot file wrongful death claims because they are not related to the deceased person.

If you are an eligible family member without first priority, such as a sibling, you may still be a beneficiary of the case. In fact, wrongful death claims often involve numerous family members as beneficiaries. This often leads to the question of how damages will be divided among beneficiaries after the case is over. Typically, the jury has the final say on the proportion of damages recovered by each beneficiary.

Call Our Parkville, MD Wrongful Death Attorneys for Assistance Now

Set up a case review free of charge by calling (410) 694-7291 and talking to our wrongful death attorneys at Rice, Murtha & Psoras.